The Calcium Question: Are You Getting Enough?
By Editorial Staff
An estimated 55 percent of men and 78 percent of women over the age of 20 are not getting enough calcium in their diets.
The following are a few strategies and tips to help you meet your calcium needs each day:
- Use low-fat or fat-free milk instead of water in recipes such as pancakes, mashed potatoes, pudding and instant, hot breakfast cereals.
- Blend a fruit smoothie made with low-fat or fat-free yogurt for a great breakfast.
- Sprinkle grated low-fat or fat-free cheese on salad, soup or pasta.
- Choose low-fat or fat-free milk instead of carbonated soft drinks.
- Serve raw fruits and vegetables with a low-fat or fat-free yogurt- based dip.
- Create a vegetable stir-fry and toss in diced calcium-set tofu.
- Especially for lactose-intolerant patients: Complement your diet with calcium-fortified foods such as certain cereals, orange juice and soy beverages.
Page printed from: