To Your Health
April, 2010 (Vol. 04, Issue 04)
Nutritional Supplements for Healthy Skin
Oral ingestion of certain vitamins and minerals has been shown to be of proven value in the prevention and treatment of many skin conditions.
It is a fundamental consideration in lifelong skin health and maintenance, and a cornerstone of skin anti-aging practices.
Premature aging of the skin, genetic damage to skin cells and underlying melanin pigment are known to result from free-radical damage, which most commonly occurs due to overexposure to ultraviolet light from solar radiation (sunlight). Free radicals generated from cigarette smoking and alcohol consumption can also damage the skin in a similar way.
Free-radical damage hastens the process of skin aging and wrinkling and creates mutations that are known to lead to the development of skin cancer (basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma and melanoma). Presently, non-melanoma skin cancer is the most common malignancy in the United States; the estimated lifetime risk of developing malignant melanoma in the U.S. rose from one in 250 in 1981 to one in 87 in 1996.
|Common Skin Problems and Supplements That Help
|Sun- and chemical-induced free-radical damage that causes premature aging of the skin,
wrinkling, cancerous conditions, other forms of skin damage
|Contains optimal levels of antioxidants to help protect your skin from the aging and damaging effects caused by the sun:
- Antioxidants vitamin C, vitamin E, beta-carotene, selenium and zinc intercept and neutralize free radicals and defend skin cells from these damaging effects.
- Antioxidants protect skin from ultraviolet light damage.
- Replenishes the skin's antioxidant nutrient supply.
|Skin disorders such as
dermatitis (skin inflammation problems), lack of smoothness, seborrhoea-like scaly lesions, irregular pigmentation
|Contains B vitamins at sufficient doses to ensure the healthy development of skin cells:
- B-vitamin supplementation corrects these skin problems and successfully treats a wide range of dermatitis problems
- B vitamins help to improve the smoothness and texture of the skin.
- Niacin (vitamin B3) supplementation helps prevent ultraviolet-light damage to the skin and prevent weakened skin immune function by increasing energy availability to skin cells, helping them repair any ultraviolet light damage before it becomes permanent.
|Abnormal development of
skin cells, sometimes producing
thickened dry skin that is
prone to infection
|Contains vitamin A and vitamin D to assist in normal growth and development of skin cells:
- Vitamin D receptors present on skin cells require adequate vitamin D stimulation from within the body in order to develop normally.
- Vitamin A is involved in growth and repair of skin cells.
- Correct doses of vitamins A and D required to achieve maximum benefit without risk of toxicity.
|Unhealthy skin, acne and
|Provides the appropriate daily doses of zinc and selenium to enhance your skin's vitality and appearance:
- Zinc improves oil gland function, local skin hormone activation, wound healing, inflammation control within the skin and tissue regeneration of skin cells.
- Zinc supplementation is emerging as an important aspect of acne control and in the treatment of eczema and psoriasis.
- Selenium plays a key role in antioxidant protection and in the prevention and management of various skin conditions.